New Zealand

New Zealand has an international reputation as a provider of quality education.

Why New Zealand?

New Zealand's educational institutions are well regarded throughout the world. There is a great range of opportunities available to international students here: quality secondary school education, a well established network of English language schools, and internationally respected and recognised tertiary education providers

There are 10 levels of study in New Zealand schools and universities. The lowest level is a certificate and the highest is a doctoral degree. Each level is more complex than the one below it. These are the names of our qualifications and their levels:

  • Certificates are levels 1 to 4
  • Diplomas are levels 5 and 6
  • Bachelors degree, graduate diplomas and certificates are level 7
  • Postgraduate diplomas and certificates and bachelor’s degrees with honors are level 8
  • Masters degrees are level 9
  • Doctoral degrees are level 10.

Working while studying

for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year (including holidays within the academic year) if they are:

  • undertaking a full-time, course of study at a private training establishment or tertiary institution and taking at least two academic years to complete, or
  • undertaking a full-time course of study culminating in a qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category, or
  • undertaking a full-time, full secondary school year course of study in Years 12 or 13, provided they have written permission from their school and written parental consent, or
  • engaged in a full-time, course of study of at least six months duration, at a Private Training Establishment or Tertiary Institution, and an immigration officer is satisfied that the primary purpose of the course of study is to develop English language skills, and, at the time of application for a student visa, the student has an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of 5.0 or above

During the Christmas-New Year holiday period if they are undertaking a full-time course of study of 12 months or more duration.


Work and live permanently in New Zealand

If you want to live and work in New Zealand permanently, there are a number of options available.

  • Skilled Migrant Category
  • Work to Residence
  • Residence from Work
  • Employee of a Relocating Company

Students can work in New Zealand after they finish their course of study?

Students can also work after they finish their course of study if:
1) They have an offer of employment relevant to their qualification and successfully completed a course in New Zealand that:

  • Had a minimum completion time of three years, or
  • Would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category

2) They do not have an offer of employment but have successfully completed a qualification in New Zealand that would qualify for points under the Residence Skilled Migrant Category, for a maximum of six months, to transition from study, to work, to residence with a Graduate Job Search Work Visa.

1. What types of courses are available to international students in New-Zealand?
Courses in major subject areas with specialization are available at Bachelors & Master level in Newzealand. Diploma and post graduate diploma courses are also available.

2. Is New Zealand education recognized?
Yes, Newzealand has British based education system and it is recognized world wide. NZQA is the authority that ensures the quality of education provided by these institutions.

3. What is the duration for a typical Bachelor course & Master course?
In Newzealand Bachelor’s degree is typically for 3 years while Masters is for 2 years. Certain courses offered at Diploma level may range from 1 to 2 years.

4. What are the average tuition fees?
The average tuition fees are Bachelor & Masters courses NZ$ 16,000 to NZ$ 25,000 per year and for Diploma/ Graduate Diploma Courses NZ$ 13,000 to NZ$ 18,000 per year.

5. Is medical certificate and police clearance certificate mandatory requirement?
Yes, Medical Certificate from an approved doctor by NZIS is mandatory lodgment requirement. This certificate should not be more than three months old. Similarly a Police Clearance Certificate not more than 6 months old is a must when the application is lodged.

6. Are dependents allowed to accompany the student?
Dependents are allowed to accompany the students. The dependent gets a work permit, if the main applicant’s course is in long term skilled list.

7. Will the student be allowed to work part – time?
Yes students will be able to work 20hrs a work during term – time and 40 hrs a week during vacation.

8. What are the insurance requirements?
All international students should have travel and medical insurance when enrolling for a Newzealand education. This can be done prior to your arrival in Newzealand, or else your institution will ensure that you obtain insurance as part of your enrolment (application forms will include a question on insurance). There are many well-known insurance companies in Newzealand which can offer you competitive insurance premiums to cover all your basic needs.

9. Which documents are required for application?
Biodata Passport Photographs School Leaving Certificate SSC Mark sheet SSC Certificate SSC Transcript HSC Mark sheet HSC Certificate HSC Transcript All semesters/Years Mark Sheets of Diploma/Bachelor/Master Final/Provisional Degree Certificate of Diploma / Bachelor/ Master Bonafide Certificate from College of Diploma / Bachelor / Master Transcript of College Record of Diploma / Bachelor / Master Extra Educational Certificates (Courses: Professional / Computer / Others) Test Score Reports (TOEFL/IELTS/SAT/GRE/GMAT) Recommendation letter (3) (Preferably from Professors or Any Other Senior Staff Members) Statement of Purpose Relevant Work Experience Certificates

10. What are the options available on completion of studies?
The student gets minimum one year open work permit after study in Newzealand.

11. Is IELTS a compulsory requirement?
IELTS is not a mandatory requirement specified by NZIS but Universities/Polytechnics/Institute of Technologies does require IELTS score to offer admission to an international student. Also IELTS score gives NZIS a very good independent assessment of student’s ability to manage a course of study taught in English in Newzealand.

12. Which type of institutions offer courses to International Students?
Colleges, Polytechnics and Universities offer courses to International Student.

13. What is Fund transfer Scheme?
Under fund transfer scheme the student can open a bank A/c in Newzealand. On getting approval in Principle-AIP - the student can deposit money for his/her living expenses in that A/c. On reaching there every month a student is entitled to withdraw $833 a month. If a student opt’s for this scheme it will ease the visa procedure.